January is traditionally the month when we all resolve to start moving more, with new members queuing up to join the gym and more health and fitness related internet searches than any other month. We know that exercise can dramatically enhance our wellbeing, and have a positive impact on our mental health – alongside all of the physical benefits too.
Running for just 15 minutes a day, or walking for an hour, has been shown to reduce the risk of major depression by 26%; and studies have also found anxiety and other mental health conditions to be improved most by rhythmic, aerobic exercises including running, swimming and cycling.
At Paycare, we love sharing top tips to help our Policyholders with their health and wellbeing – so here are our suggestions to beat those January (and lockdown) blues:
1. A lunchtime walk helps you take your eyes off the screen – and is sure to have you feeling more productive when you return to your desk.
2. Joe Wicks is likely to spring to mind when you think about YouTube workouts, but there are thousands more to explore so you could try a different type of exercise every time to keep things fresh and exciting!
3. Exercising outdoors with one person outside of your household or support bubble is allowed under the current rules – and this can include an outside personal training session as long as you are at least 2m apart at all times.
4. Why not join together with your friends, family, or colleagues to try an online exercise class or take it in turns to lead a session during a weekly video call? At Paycare, different members of the team are setting up HIIT and Yoga sessions for us all to join in if we want to!
5. Walking for 20 minutes a day consistently through the month will be much more beneficial than doing a 10-mile run once, so do remember to keep your goals realistic and manageable, scaling up the time and intensity of your workouts as you become fitter and stronger.
6. You’ll need to up your water intake to account for the fluid you use while exercising, so remember to keep sipping away during the day!
Do keep an eye on our blogs, where we’ll continue sharing health and wellbeing tips to help us all feel as well as we can through lockdown 🙌😃 Happy exercising!
Until next time, stay safe 🧡