Paycare launched as a not-for-profit in 1874, with the ultimate aim of encouraging people to look after their health and wellbeing, without breaking the bank. Today, we work with thousands of Policyholders from across a broad spectrum of our society, from employees at large and small businesses, through to individuals over 65, under 25 and everyone in-between.

What is a Health Cash Plan?

A Health Cash Plan is a service that enables you to pay a monthly premium and then get cash back on a wide range of health and wellbeing services, from optical, dental and physiotherapy, through to specialist consultations and tests, inoculations and vaccinations, and chiropody (plus much more). Depending on the level of cover you want, which can be as little as just £1.25 a week, you have an annual allowance of cash back available for each service we cover. You can check out the different plans we offer using our handy plan finder tool here

OK, So What If… I Have My Eyes Tested and Need New Glasses?

You simply keep the receipt for both the eye test and the glasses, send it over to us online (or via post if you prefer) and the money will be credited back to your bank account*. We know how precious the pennies are, so we’re committed to getting the money back to you as quickly as possible – in fact, we aim to pay all valid claims within just 48 hours.
*up to your annual limit

Why Health Cash Plans?

We believe that people shouldn’t be out of pocket for taking care of their own, their employees, or their family’s health, and Cash Plans provided by reliable, trusted and recognised providers can ensure this in the short, mid and long-term.

Here at Paycare we are dedicated to providing an exceptional customer service, which is reflected in the feedback we regularly receive from our Policyholders. Did you know that an individual Policyholder stays with Paycare for an average of 22 years, and a corporate (employer or employee-paid) Policyholder for an average of 12 years!

What Other Services Are Included?

We recognise that health and wellbeing covers many areas, both physically and mentally, and because of this, we cover so much more than the everyday healthcare services you’d expect such as eye tests and dental check-ups.

We’re continually innovating and introducing new, complementary services to help you get the very most from your plan. Our Paycare GP 24/7 App allows you to make an appointment with a qualified and practicing GP at any time of the day or night – meaning you don’t need to make a physical journey to your nearest surgery and helping you to fit them in around your busy lives (also helping you to make your health and wellbeing a priority). With the app you can book  appointments over the phone or via a video link,  get prescription medication delivered to your home or work address, access reliable online medical information and so much more. Find out about this service here

Plus, all our Policyholders have access to our Paycare Perks service, an exclusive online discount platform to help you budget better, with hundreds of discounts and cashback on everyday purchases such as grocery shopping, car insurance, cinema tickets, gym memberships, and much more. Find out more here

Where Does the Money From Your Premiums Go?

We always encourage our Policyholders to look after their overall wellbeing, and benefit from feeling fit and healthy in all areas! Approximately 80% of the funds we receive through premiums is paid back in claims payments to our Policyholders, with the remaining 20% covering our operating costs. And because we don’t believe in resting on our laurels, we are continually reinvesting this money back into the business to continue developing our services to suit your needs now, and in the future, as well as to fill the gaps which the healthcare system doesn’t cover.

But we don’t stop there, because as a not-for-profit, we’re proud to do things differently. Our ultimate aim is to help the communities that we serve, and that’s why if there’s anything left over after operating costs and paying cashback to our Policyholders, we share it with many worthwhile charities, causes and initiatives. We’re extremely proud to have donated more than £2,200,000, and you can see who’s benefitted here

What Next?

If you’re interested in finding out more about taking out a Paycare policy, want to look into introducing such a service in the workplace to ensure the health, wellbeing and happiness of your staff, or just want to chat to a member of our team, please do contact us on 01902 371000.